A Beginner's Guide to Start Learning Dance Online (And for FREE!)

Hey readers! Thanks for returning to my blog. This post is going to give you some insight on "How to learn dance online". I know if you are a beginner, this question may be spinning around in your head for a quite long time. You may want to learn to dance because you enjoy it, or you have a wedding or party coming soon, or you may just want to make Instagram Reels (or TikTok if you are not from India), it's not my concern. But what is my concern, is to tell you how you can learn.

A Beginner's Guide to Start Learning Dance Online (And for FREE!)


Before you read

Now, let me get this straight - I don't guarantee that you can dance like The Kinjaz, or Poppin John just by learning online and not going to classes (I can't yet). But it ain't true for everybody, it depends on your capabilities. You can still become a pro if you train hard!

Don't just keep sitting and making excuses like "Oh, I don't have dance classes near me" or "I just wasn't born to be a dancer". Anyone can become a skilled dancer. All it needs is consistent practice and persistence.

Speaking of patience, I think it's silly to expect to achieve mastery in just 5-6 months (I know because I believed this not so long ago). I've been learning stumblingly for approximately 4 years now but still am not remarkably good. So, be steady, keep learning regularly and improving, and keep reading this post!

How do I Myself Learn

I use YouTube to learn, and for clarifying doubts, I use Google and platforms like Quora or Reddit. I learn from multiple YouTube channels, but my favorite is Mihran Kirakosian. I started practicing sincerely from this lockdown only, at least an hour on most of the days. I've started with the fundamental steps and am advancing towards combos. Right now, I'm learning another combo after finishing one previously(you can find the video on my Instagram page).

What and How can You Learn

The best thing is that you can learn to dance online for absolutely free (apart from your internet prices). Many websites provide paid courses. You can join them if you want to dive deeper into learning and take the benefits of premium features. Steezy is the best website for online dance classes in my opinion. They provide lessons for almost all styles. I suggest you try them if you desire premium training.

But Youtube is best for beginners like you and me. You can find many channels and videos to learn from. And there are tons of styles you can learn, almost all! Just type in "tutorials for (the genre of dance you want to learn)", and Boom! You are ready to start practicing.

Also, find a specific time and place only for your practice hours where nobody can bother you. You won't want to get interfered numerous times during practice. Create a collection of your favorite tutorials and playlist, find a perfect spot and you are good to go!

Avoid these Mistakes though

But before you start dancing, make sure the people you are following aren't wack themselves. You must learn the right things only. Also, if you feel something off about a tutorial and want to stop, go ahead and do it. You wanna learn what appeals to you.

As you are practicing all by yourself, it's obvious to make mistakes or lose proper form. You should always be doing proper practices. You don't want to train for 5 hours just to look like a deadbeat, do you?

Thus, it's crucial to have a guide to inform you about your mistakes. You can ask a friend to come over and guide you, or dance in front of the mirror. Or you can simply record yourself on your phone and later analyze yourself. Remember, you are your best judge! But again, don't get overconfident and think everything you do is right.

You should also be doing stretching and warm-up every day. Read this post if you wanna know what and how to do it.

Conclusion

Alright, that was all I know about learning to dance online. To summarize:- 

1. Find tutorials for your desired dance style on YouTube

2. Find a proper place and time devoted to your dance practice

3. Have a guide or record yourself and review your mistakes

And that's all! I did my duty to tell you how to do it. Now it is your responsibility to actually do it. I wish you all the success and I'll meet you in the next post!

Much love,

Kaushik

Post a Comment